Tuesday 4 March 2014

RECIPE: Eggless Pancakes


I didn't have time to make pancakes for breakfast this morning so I decided to have some for dinner instead. But I'd used up all the eggs for another dish.... Oops! Well, I didn't let that stop me making pancakes on pancake day! So I started searching for egg alternatives and egg-less pancake recipes. Here's what I came up with. 

I love experimenting with food and making healthy alternatives, and this was a great opportunity to do just that. The pancakes were light and fluffy and needed to be handled with TLC, especially when flipping over. I used my normal pancake measurements but replaced the egg with bicarbonate of soda and yoghurt. Here's what I did: 

INGREDIENTS
125g wholemeal flour
1tspn bicarbonate of soda 
1tbspn natural yoghurt 
300ml milk

METHOD
1. Put all the ingredients in a jug or bowl and whisk until well combined. 
2. Warm a frying pan and spray some oil on the pan. 
3. Pour some batter into the middle of the pan and swirl around to cover the surface. 
4. Let it cook for 1 minute, bubbles will form on the top and it will brown around the edges. 
5. Carefully loosen the pancake from the pan using a flat metal spatula. Make sure the pancake is cooked properly otherwise your pancake won't come out in one piece. 
6. Flip and let it cook for another minute. 
7. Place on a pretty plate and repeat until you have used up all the batter. 
8. Fill your pancake with whatever you like. I filled mine with spinach and cream cheese, with a salsa dip. Here are a few suggestions:

Sweet Pancakes:
- lemon and sugar
- honey and cinnamon
- fruit with honey and flaked almonds

Savoury Pancakes: 
- smoked salmon and poached egg
- spinach and cheese
- grilled vegetables 

I'd love to hear from you, let me know what you like to have on your pancakes, feel free to send me your pics too! Comment below if you would like me to try any other healthy variations. 

Be Happy! Be Healthy! 


By Ayshabibi H. ANutr
A H Nutritionist
4th Feb 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment