Friday 23 May 2014

RECIPE: 3 Ingredient Snack Bars

After researching and writing up the product review on cereal bars/energy bars/snack bars, which are growing on our supermarket shelves, I was determined to find a healthy alternative. Many people have these high sugar high fat bars on a regular basis unaware of what is actually in them.



Read my product review on snack bars here ->> Food Review: Snack Bars
So, I got researching again, and I had heard about these 3/4/5 ingredient energy bars. The fewer the ingredients the better made from healthy natural food sources, but it still has to work, look like a bar and taste good too. And this one really does! You can always adapt and change the recipe to your own liking, but keep it at least 80% healthy. The basic ingredients for this recipe only uses three products, yes that’s it just 3! I have added some optional extra’s to allow you to make it to your own liking.
One of the ingredients are ripe bananas, so once my bananas started getting black spots I knew it was time to experiment. I quickly brought some porridge oats (as I had run out just my luck!) and got mashing and mixing. And honestly, it did not take long at all. Probably about 30 minutes from finish to start, the only equipment I used were,a bowl, measuring scales, a knife and a fork. I hope you will give these a try and I hope they become a regular bake in your house, as I know they will be in mine. Here’s how I made them:
Healthy Homemade Snack Bars
2 medium sized bananas, mashed
200g oats
100g soft dates, chopped 

Optional Extras:
Sprinkle of cinnamon
A squeeze of honey
Nuts, chopped - almonds, pecan, walnuts, cashew
Dried fruit, chopped – apricot, cranberries, pineapple, raisins
Seeds; mixed, sesame, pumpkin, sunflower


1.      Peel the bananas and mash it all up with the back of a fork until there are no lumps and it is a liquid-like texture.
2.     Take out the stones and chop the dates up.
3.     Mix the dates and oats into the mashed bananas until well combined, ensure that all the oats are wet.
4.     Press down into a tin.
5.     Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180°C for 10 mins. Or until the edges start to brown.
6.     Remove from the oven and allow to cool. You can cut it into shapes or bars whilst it is still warm. But allow to cool before taking it out of the tin. Be careful and use an oven glove! You kitchen will be smelling lovely, like baked bananas. 
7.     Enjoy!

Wrap them up individually in cling film or foil, ready to grab and go! 

Pre-Bake
Variations:
  • Add a teaspoon of honey and/or ground cinnamon if you would like it a bit more sweet.
  • Mix in other dried fruits, nuts and seeds, when combining the mixture together.
  • Press on some mixed seeds on top before putting it in the oven.
  • Mix in some dark chocolate chips.
  • Drizzle with a bit of dark chocolate after it has come out of the oven and cooled.
  • Make into balls instead of bars, simple roll them into balls and before placing it in the oven.
I hope you have enjoyed this recipe. Please do give it a try and let me know what you think. I would even love to see your pictures too. It is super easy and much healthier than the commercial products that are claiming to be ‘healthy’. My optional extra's were a dash of cinnamon, chopped walnuts and mixed seeds on top. 

I've brought it in to work for my colleagues to taste, I'll let you know what they think. Next blogpost will be about healthy workplace snacking, as I have started a part-time office job, which is usually prone to unhealthy habits. 


Be Happy! Be Healthy!
By Ayshabibi H.
A H Nutritionist
24th May 2014

7 comments: