<<- This is the dessert I usually make with my homemade granola, fruit parfait. Since the first time I made everyone has loved it, even unhealthy sceptics! I usually bulk bake the granola and store it in a airtight container so it there for me to have and use whenever I want, a healthy convenience food! You can have the granola by it self as a snack, with milk for breakfast, top it on your porridge or any yoghurt for a healthy crunch. Try it yourself just to see how simple it is to make, recipe below:
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
· 200g rolled oats
· 2 tbsp of canola/coconut oil
· 3 tbsp of honey
· 100g of mixed seeds
· 50g nuts (of your choice, I used flaked almonds)
· Dried fruit, pieces.
How to make it:
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Mix the oats, oil and honey together in a bowl. Make sure the oats are coated and sticking together a bit.
- Add the nuts and seeds. I usually use a pack of mixed seeds and flaked almonds.
- Lay the oats on a baking tray, evenly and pop it in the oven.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, depending on how brown you like your oats. I like it really brown, so I bake it for a few more minutes but careful not to burn it.
- Give it a mix and bake it for another 10 minutes.
- Take it out the oven and let it cool. Add your dried fruit pieces.
- Enjoy! Great for breakfast, snack or dessert.
VARIATIONS: - You could add, walnuts, cashew, pine nuts. – Add honey to the yoghurt for a sweeter taste.
By Ayshabibi H. ANutr
A H Nutritionist
14th November 2013