Sunday 27 April 2014

RECIPE: Vegetable Crisps


Hiya! I feel like it's been a while. Hope you are all doing well and enjoyed the half-term holidays, I had a family wedding which was fun! But slightly unhealthy, so I am trying to get back into the healthy mode and work off all those extra calories I consumed. A little while ago I had some extra vegetables and decided to try the new craze of vegetable crisps. Don't knock it till you've tried it, find out how I made them. 

If you're like me and you like to have the occasional crisp packet now and then, sometimes you just needed something crunchy to snack on or to have with your sandwich. But if the occasional packet becomes too regular and often you know you need to start thinking of a healthy alternative. You can use any root vegetable, I used kale and carrot. I want to try beetroot, I can imagine that one tasting yummy!


- Carrot - Parsnip - Beetroot - Kale - Butternut Squash - Potatoes - Courgettes - 

- Sweet Potatoes - Aubergines - 

All you need to do is:

1. Peel, wash and drain your vegetable. 

2. Using a potato peeler, peel thin strips long ways or round slices of the vegetable. 

3. Lay them out on a kitchen towel and dab away any excess water. 

4. After you have drained out most of the moister, (some vegetables may need to sit for a little while than other) - Spray a baking tray with some olive oil and lay out the vegetable strips/slices. Add some seasoning if you like; pepper, chilli powder, cumin powder. 

5. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°C for about 5 mins. Flip them over and bake for another 5 mins. Keep a very close eye on them as they can burn very quickly and easily. 

6. Take them out, allow them to cool and crisp up. 

7. Put them in a fancy bowl and enjoy! Here's how mine came out. 


CARROT CRISPS
THICK STRIPS
AFTER BAKE

KALE CRISPS

BEFORE BAKE
AFTER BAKE

Give it a try, they're easy to make, fun, healthy and nutritious
Don't forget to send me your pics too! :-D 

Serve with some guacamole or sour cream. 

Be Happy! Be Healthy! 


By Ayshabibi H. 
A H Nutritionist
27th April 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment