Monday 20 January 2014

RECIPE: Aubergine Towers

I came upon this recipe when browsing a low-fat recipe book and it just looked delicious. I first made this in Ramadhan 2013 (the month of fasting for Muslism), to have as a light snack/meal for iftaar, (the meal at sunset when you break the fast). I had it with a side of couscous and it tasted so yummy. In fact it tasted like I was having pizza. I would even use this as a healthy pizza alternative recipe, or a low-carb meal. 



They are so simple, with only a few ingredients and so easy to make you can have a great dish without any great effort. Give it a try and I am sure you will love it! Here's how I made it:

INGREDIENTS:
- 2 aubergines, sliced
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced (or shallot)
- 1 garlic, chopped
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- Herbs and spices of your choice (black pepper, oregano, parsley, coriander, chilli powder)
- 2 mozzarella balls, sliced

WHAT TO DO: 
1. Pre-heat oven to 200'C.
2. Lay aubergine slices on a tray, drizzle with oil and sprinkle on spices. Grill the aubergines, 5 minutes on each side. 
3. Soften the onion with a little oil in a pan. Add the garlic. Add the tomatoes and seasoning. Simmer for a few minutes. 
4. Now to arrange the towers. Top the grilled aubergines with the tomato salsa and then the mozzarella slice. You could leave it like this for a smaller tower or add another arrangement on top to make it taller. 
5. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 5 minutes, or until the cheese melts. 
6. Voila, your oozy tower is ready to eat. 

VARIATIONS:
-Try different vegetables like, courgettes, sweet potato or butternut squash. 
- If you want to make them into party snack foods, simply make smaller bitesize circles, cook and pierce a cocktail stick through the middle.
- Serve with cous cous, rice or bread. 

Thank you for sending me your photos of your aubergine towers. They look great!


Showcase your foodie photos too! Send me your photos of any of the recipes on my blog and I will add them on. 

Be Happy. Be Healthy. 


By Ayshabibi H.
A H Nutritionist
20th January 2014




No comments:

Post a Comment