Friday 2 December 2011

Herbal Teas



Herbal teas are made from herbs, flowers and spices infused to have as a warm drink at any time of the day. There is a wide range of herbal teas available today and all have a different role to play in our bodies, physically and mentally. With so many flavours available there have different taste and you’ll defiantly find one to suit your needs.





It is recommended to have 3-4 cups of herbal tea a day and it will add to your daily water intake. I find that it plays different roles in my day, for example, if I am having a little sugar craving late at night instead of giving into my harmful craving I suppress it by having a cup of herbal tea and the craving is gone without any harm but with benefits reaped instead.

 started to have herbal tea when I found a tea called ‘skin purifier’ and as my skin was quite bad I thought I’d try it out. I was a bit weary as I was used to having hot drinks with milk in it. So, when I had my first cup I thought, this isn't that bad, it just tasted like warm water with a hint of something in it. I couldn't really taste the herb or flower that much, so I continued to have it and later on tried out different ones and have loved them since.

Below I have described some of the common herbal teas which you could incorporate into your healthy lifestyle, and you could always add a teaspoon of honey or lemon to add a bit of taste.


  • Green tea –An everyday tea as it has many overall beneficial properties. Best to have in the morning to help wake up, refresh but also great for an afternoon boost. 
  • Chamomile tea – Best to have before bedtime, known for its calming and soothing properties. Also good to have to ease nerves and muscles, e.g. menstrual cramps. 
  • Lemon and Ginger tea – Good for nausea and sickness. Ginger is known to ease feelings of sickness, so instead smelling or chewing on a bit of ginger have it as a warm drink instead. 
  • Sweet fennel – Great to have after a meal as it aids digestion. Good to have if you feel bloated or if you have had a heavy meal. It also helps to flush out the toxins from your body, so good for those of you who are having a cleanse or detox. 
  • Peppermint – Also, good for nausea and vomiting. It has a strong refreshing taste, will help wake you up in the morning and freshen breath. 
  • St John’s Wort – This is a flowering herb found best known for its anti-depressant properties. Studies have shown that it helps mild to moderate depression, mood swings, chronic fatigue and wintertime blues. 
  • Black Cohesh – Calming properties, have to ease menopausal symptoms. 
  • Fruity flavours – There are some fruity flavours available too like; mango, pomegranate, strawberry, raspberry and cranberry.  Some herbal teas have a hint of fruit added to them to enhance the taste.




There are so many different flavours out there now, you are bound to find at least one that you like and will make you feel better. Let me know which ones you like. :-) 

*Please check with your doctor before taking any herbal remedies if you are pregnant or have a medical illness.


No comments:

Post a Comment